Thursday, October 20, 2005

Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters...

You know, it was almost like Gloria all over again...she wasn't what I wanted, but she was there. I can't remember the exact order of some of these events, but I know they all happened within just a few weeks of each other.

I don't think I heard from Veronica again for a few days...maybe the next weekend. She called me at work on what had to be a Friday night & asked what I was doing after work. She was actually staying at Alan's sister Daria's house, who was out of town for the weekend, and asked if I might want to come over & keep her company. I had nothing better to do, and I had not yet hit the point in my life where I hated not sleeping in my own bed, so I grabbed a bottle of wine & headed over there. The wine never got opened, as we ended up having sex on the sofa about 15 minutes after I walked in the door. I must've been really worked up that night, (which is probably why I came over in the first place) because I remember it didn't last long at all, and I must've been tired, because I remember we fell asleep at what was even then an early hour for me without any problem.


I woke up the next morning beside her, and after she went and checked on the baby, she came back & lay down next to me and we played around for a while, but didn't get too far into it. I remember realizing then & there just how spectacular her breasts really were, and finding out that they were entertaining for both of us...but that's not the point; I also remember that morning, looking around me and thinking to myself that, her breasts nonwithstanding, I wasn't really into this girl...and I remember almost trying to convince myself that I was...just to have that feeling back again. I did notice, even then, that I couldn't just conjure that feeling out of thin air (I don't think I'd ever really tried to like Gloria...), and I remember driving home that morning & feeling a little empty inside...I knew even then that there was nothing there.

Nevertheless, I must have gotten really bored or really down, because I remember the next weekend I figured I'd just do it all over again. I thought that, since we had done the nasty about a half-dozen times now & I'd only taken her out once, that I should probably at least make some kind of effort. In fact, I don't remember exactly what I was thinking...I might have genuinely been trying to take her out & show her a good time, but on some level I had an agenda, because as soon as we'd had a few drinks at the first bar, I suggested we head back home & get it on. She didn't object, so that's what we did. And then afterwards, that's when I first saw it...

As I said before, I honestly didn't think that Veronica was looking for much more than a good time at that point in her life. Sure, she had said she liked me, but everything else we had done since then had been Casual Sex 101, so I figured everything was fine, but apparently, there was trouble. I don't remember anything about the sex itself, but I remember afterwards, we lied there for a minute with me grinning & thinking everything was fine, and then she got up in a huff and started putting on her clothes. I asked her what was wrong, and her voice....changed. It got this tone to it that was like your mother scolding you....that's the only way I can describe it.

She was mad; she had wanted to go out more & be wooed & have fun...and I had just wanted to bring her back here for dirty sex. It was basically true...and I was a little ashamed of it (even though I didn't really deny it), but I had thought she was on board....that's what I get for thinking. I told her I was sorry, but she turned and snapped at me, and the look on her face & that...tone in her voice really freaked me out. I don't remember exactly what she said, but the whole scene got decidedly uncomfortable really fast, and she ended up leaving immediately, with this really creepy, cool, calm yet extremely angry kind of demeanor that I can't precisely describe, even after all these years...but just know that it's nothing you ever want to be around.

So, basically, I thought that was that...I had done her wrong twice & that was more than I figured a woman in her position would stand. I'm wracking my brain, but I can't remember anything else that happened until what had to be at least a week or two later.

It was a Friday or Saturday night, and me & the usual idiots had all been out late swimming at the pool where Alan's parents lived. We sat outside his house for a while afterwards, and I remember we had a bottle of Jagermeister, which was pretty new back then, but I hardly drank any of it 'cus I couldn't stand the stuff. I stayed until maybe one in the morning, and got home and turned on the Super Nintendo, only to hear a knock at my back door a few minutes later. My heart jumped a bit; the last time I had opened that door at this of night, it was Roxanne standing there....but this time, I wasn't so lucky. It was Veronica, six-pack in hand & already drunk as a frat boy.

God knows where she had been or what she had been doing...probably just sitting in her car somewhere nearby & drinking, knowing her...but she was here now and she made no bones about why she had come. She immediately put down the beer, pushed me back down onto the bad, and started kissing me. I stopped her (you read that right), and told her that I didn't think this was such a good idea...that we probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place & that we certainly shouldn't do it now, when she would probably not even remember it tomorrow. The truth was, I was really not turned on at all..in fact, I was more than a little freaked out, so i tried to reason with her.

Well, we all know how well logic works on drunks, and she was hearing none of it. I'm sure that, in the little experience she'd had, she probably wasn't accustomed to guys turning her down (and I'm pretty sure that's the first time I ever turned a girl down...correct me if I'm wrong), and I had already seen she could be pretty persistent when she wanted to be, so she kept right at it. When I pushed her away again, she pulled out the big guns; her top came right up & her bra came off in a flash. Now, even today, I'm still a little surprised that that didn't do it, 'cus they were spectacular, but truthfully, it was a huge turn-off. I said before that she didn't really seem like the type of girl to be doing this kind of stuff (which she really wasn't), and that thought hit me again & the whole "what's wrong with this picture?" vibe got real heavy. It was just kind of....I dunno...really desperate, I guess...and that's never attractive.

Still, I wasn't sure what I was going to have to do to get 'no' through to her, 'cus nothing seemed to be working, and honestly, had she kept rubbing those things against my face for a few seconds more, it wouldn't have mattered, but thankfully, at that moment, the phone rang. Saved by the bell. It was Molly, my platonic punk-chick buddy, and when I heard it was her on the line, I quickly formulated a plan in my head in about 3 seconds that would end up haunting my life for years to come.

I talked to Molly for a minute & then told her that I had just gotten in, and to call me back in 10 minutes sharp. She said okay, and when I hung up the phone, I turned to Veronica and lied right to her face. I told her that Molly & I had started seeing each other (Molly was actually pregnant with another guy's baby at this time, but that's beside the point), and that she couldn't find out that I had another girl over, and she had to go right away. She argued with me for a second (although she had put her top back on when I was on the phone), but eventually the message got through. The phone rang again in 10 minutes, and she was on her way out the door when it did.

I felt really bad for her right then; I felt bad for lying to her, and I also felt bad for her that she was so...down, and that she had obviously hit some kind of personal low. I knew she had been fighting with & was estranged from her family during that time; she had taken the baby & left, and I remember feeling really sorry for her, but at the same time, being really glad that she was gone. I didn't need that kind of trouble in my life. I answered the phone & told Molly what had just happened, to which she joked that I had a stalker now, and I remember thinking that maybe that wasn't so funny...

Regardless, nothing else happened; I got no more late-night visits, and I wouldn't hear from Veronica again for a long while, but the seeds had been planted (no, she wasn't pregnant). The rest of that summer was nothing but mindless fun...some of the best I ever had, in fact; that summer is still the time in our lives against which my friends & I judge any fun we've had since. There were a few other girls that summer, but all of them fleeting. There was the sorority girl, there was the new-age chick, there were the girls from St. Louis, there was the one that was still technically illegal...but there was no one important. I had a blast, but it would be a few months before anyone significant came along.

I finally had to move out of our house, as it was being sold, and I moved into a little one-bedroom apartment in a shady complex just a few blocks from where I worked. The place was pretty ratty, but it was cheap, and it was my first time living alone. I remember the first night I stayed by myself, I cranked up The Yes Album as loud as I could without rattling the neighbors & felt a tremendous sense of freedom & solitude that I would get way too used to over the years, but at that moment felt fantastic.

It didn't last long, however, because about a month or so later, I met Maria....

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle recalled...

I was sure V was going to be pregnant. I'm glad I was wrong!

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger PAINKEY recalled...

I'm glad you got yourself out of that one, good for you. Even tho u lied, you did the right thing.

I cant wait to hear about what happens with MARIA. Hope she aint psyco like Veronica.

I cant help but have that song that Santan plays on...

Maria, Maria, she's the mommy of the west side story....
maybe it dont go like that but thats how it goes to me..hehehe
wish i knew the rest of the song, that one line keeps playin over and over.
keep bloggin ;)

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous recalled...

Okay, I just have to say the obvious.... Veronica comes to your house and wakes you up with fruit and whipped cream wanting sex and somehow YOU'RE the bad guy for just wanting sex? Yup, she's psycho.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger M recalled...

perfect boobs and you still said no??? maybe there's hope for you yet! :-)

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Oh So Wonderful recalled...

Oh you sure know how to keep us in suspense! And that's a new thing for me - men having the strong will to resist...where are all the rest of yous?

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Schumi's Pilot recalled...

Just wanted to point out that you did say no to that other chick in colorado after you guys went upstairs at the party.. You didn't say no at first.. but I think it still counts.. Anyhow, I'm living vicariously through some of your stories.. I hope when I'm old and senile I don't think they were my stories...

Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home