Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Enter Kara

(music to set the mood of the period: Violent Femmes - Nightmares, Sisters of Mercy - Floodland)

A few days before my 18th birthday, my friend Jase pulled up to my driveway with a girl in the passenger seat I had never seen before. He was giving her a ride home from school and he had stopped off to give me my birthday present early. I have no idea what the present he gave me was...but the girl's name was Kara, and I can tell you every single thing she had on as clear as yesterday. She hardly said two words to me that day, and I don't think she even looked at me once. If you'd have asked me what my 'type' of girl was before that day, I wouldn't have known what to say...I had never given it much thought. Standing there, looking at her leaning up against that car with the sun streaming through the trees behind her and her black hair blowing against her face, I instantly found out what my type was. It was like God had written me a prescription.


So, with barely a glance between us, I was smitten. Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't go and start writing her love letters and trying to woo her...I was mr. cool in those days, after all. I did find myself, totally involuntarilty, thinking about her over the next few days, though. And when she showed up at one of our regular gathering spots later that week, I was delighted. She became a regular member of the crew very quickly (it amazes me how fast seemingly signifigant events happened when you're younger), and also just as quickly was snatched up my my friend Chris...who had the advantage of going to school with her & living nearby. I was mildly upset, but still mr. cool was in effect & I didn't think to much about it. I did make it known that I was attracted to her, but to be fair, at that time, that's all it was...I hadn't really had a chance to get to know her very well yet. That's when the real trouble would start.

But before that happened, into the mix would come Gloria....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home